Monday, September 28, 2009

Swag flu

"Before all this talk about empty swagger...",that was Djinee in his song overkilling and in Lil Wayne’s new song with Gs boys brand new money he said “....I got so much SWAGGER, I swear SWAGGER is trying to sue me” and you remember Jay-Z screaming “Nobody got a SWAGGER like us”. Now soldier boy is out with “SWAG flu”. I don’t have to think twice to agree with him because it seems all we do these days we are so conscious of our “SWAG” and we would even want to sleep with SWAG. I don’t think am hearing someone say the SWAG bug has bitten just the musicians, have a rethink. Ask a girl before on her idea of her perfect man and you hear “he should be tall, rich, God fearing, Blues eyes and handsome”, shekina. Now we hear “he should be tall, rich, God fearing, brown eyes, handsome and he must have SWAG”. Shit, what swag? What is even swag?
Before I attempt a definition, I will give some more example of SWAG flu in action. In the Nigerian version of American idol, after contestant performs and it is time to for the audience to comment on their performance we hear funny comments like “....I like your SWAG”, “...You did not just show us that SWAG”, “that was an amazing performance, your dressing, your SWAG...”amongst many other SWAGGERlicious/unSWAGGERlicious comments(the SWAG bug has bitten me too, I got the SWAG flu”. To another reality TV show, Maltina dance hall we can comments from the judge like “the energy wasn’t there, I did not feel that SWAG”. On social networking SWAG is so common that it became a trending topic on twitter and on someones facebook status I saw “let our SWAGGER be in Christ. People argue, “Dbanj vs Tuface: who has got more SWAG”. In my own curiosity have I wondered what SWAG really meant, when it should be applied and stuffs like that because the way the word SWAG is used( we might not have enough SWAG to say in the future) we would all be driving through the SWAG lane on a SWAG speed competing for who has got more SWAG(hope we don’t crash in our quest for swag). Permit me to think of a SWAG that goes along with eating, laughing, praying, sleeping and many other things.
Conventionally I always believed SWAG is a slang coined to mean a way of life that project us in a certain image, making us feel cool and proud of ourselves. That was my own definition, but surprisingly Oxford dictionary got a definition of SWAGGER (yes it does, check it). Oxford defined SWAGGER as: to walk or behave in a manner that is too proud or confident. What a definition! So if that is the definition of SWAGGER, I would leave us with this question. When you say “I got so much SWAG”, you are admitting to being a proud person and self fulfilled.
Just thought it wise to understand the words we use. Send me a SWAG tweet and tell us your view on this SWAG issue. What is your SWAG? Are you ill of the SWAG flu?

No comments:

Post a Comment