Saturday, October 3, 2009

My October 1st 2009, Nigeria at 49



Woke up at about 6:18 am and said my prayers (I said it), washed pops car and arranged my room. The day was now set and ready for me, INDEPENDENCE DAY. Interestingly we were fumigating the compound so we had to leave the compound for at least 5hours. At about 9:10 am I left for Robinson plaza (phone sale capital of Warri) to buy a 2 gig memory card. I got it for about =N=1,700:00 and went back home. Quickly loaded it with 97 Nigerian songs (I said to myself “strictly Nigerian songs for independence”) and left for my friends house with my brother.


We arrived at about 10:28 am and he was driving out so we hopped in. I hadn’t updated my facebook status yet but had tweeted so many “Happy INDEPENDENCE DAY NIGERIA, #lightupnigeria”. As we were cruising along airport road, we ran into traffic (a real thick one). As I was trying to figure its cause I saw “HAPPY NIGERIANS” marching, sitting on top of cars, loaded on trucks, riding bicycles as they basked in the euphoria of the celebration. All dressed in white and green they produced a sight that would gladden the heart of every NIGERIAN. Although they weren’t in unison physically, they were in unison in their motives and beliefs. As usual I brought out my camera to snap pictures when one bus driver on the opposite lane shouted “you no know wetin to video” and I shouted “bush pig, drive your ugly bus that resembles you”. I was angry because of the mentality most NIGERIANS harbour when it comes to snapping picture. They believe they must be in a studio, in a beautiful place like a park or fast food or abroad but I snap anywhere whether in Lagos, Warri, Newyork or anywhere just to relish the moment and have something to look back to. Let us forget this driver jo, i quickly tweeted “Happy INDEPENDENCE NIGERIA, lets bask in the euphoria we will talk about the future later” and posted it as my facebook status too. I continued snapping till we were out off traffic and they were out of sight.

When I saw a woman looking like she was in her mid thirties screaming “49”, my heart melted and said to myself that even with the conditions we face we could celebrate for NIGERIA. I saw people who looked like they had not eaten for two days, poor dressed and looking tattered as they marched. In my cogitations I asked questions like: does the government see what we go through and yet we can march for Nigeria with a few still believing “E go better”.

Before I came back down to earth from my planets of thoughts, we were back in his house. As I sat in his exquisitely furnished parlour, he served me a chilled bottle of malt and tuned to trace on the TV. I told him to change it to CNN (my favourite TV station) which I doubted was a wise choice station then as they were showing a live broadcast of China’s independence celebration. The ceremony was so glamorous and I asked “Are NIGERIA celebrating independence too?” It was the 60rh celebration of the Peoples republic of China. I quickly tried to compare China and NIGERIA. At 60 China are eleven years ahead of NIGERIA and are in the G20(20 most developed country in the world) while we are dreaming of vision 2020 that would let us break into G20 in 11years time which is 2020. If I tried to console myself by saying China are ahead of us with a 11years, I looked back at China 11years ago and compared them to NIGERIA today and I smirked (you know the answer or don’t you).I am a very optimistic person and I still believe in NIGERIA so let us watch and see how we progress in with our vision 2020 if we would be like the China of today by 2020.

At about 2:46 pm we left his house to heading back to my place when another friend pulled over with another friend of mine and we went to relax in a hotel. We just chilled over bottles (took nothing cha) and gisted. Left at about 5 after the rain had poured for almost an hour.

On getting home, I roasted plantain (bole) and oil with my dad while I browsing through the channels on the TV. I opted for Silverbird to watch the NIGERIAN u20 team take on Tahiti and needed like 8 goals to qualify for the next round. Thinking NIGERIANS deserved a Gift for INDEPENDENCE was only a fantasy as the team managed 5 goals and spurned numerous chances even while playing with a two man advantage as our opponent had two red cards. Towards the end I changed it to channels where I started watching a special independence forum of Nigeria at 49. Professor Pat Utomi(presidential candidate 2007), Senator Ken Nnammani(did I get that spelling right)(former senate president), Annkio Briggs(Niger delta Activist),Marzo(environmental activist), Abdulwahhed and one other dude. Senator asked two funny questions and I would love to get your answers, he said “NIGERIA have been fighting a war on corruption since, yes, it has been a war but where are the casualties” and on the issue of 2011 elections he asked “why do we expect change when it is the same people who conducted the last election that would conduct this?”. The program was really interesting and as it ended we switched the TV off for night devotion. It was a really great day as I learnt a lot about my Beloved NIGERIA.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY NIGERIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment